Comparing home security systems and companies may seem overwhelming; however, the products and services can be broken down into just a few logical categories that greatly simplify your task in choosing the best option for your home and family. Following is a checklist of features you should insist on when shopping for a security system. Use this handy list to see how your favorite companies compare.
- Superior customer service– a potential security breach is no time to discover that your company offers subpar customer service
- Value– the quality offered for the price paid
- Equipment– tech-savvy equipment at a reasonable price; would you buy a security system with no outdoor camera that cannot be linked to your phone on the self-monitoring plan (like SimpliSafe)?
- Special features– what makes your company stand out? Home automation? Two-way voice option? A choice of smart devices or landline?
- Continuous monitoring– unmonitored home security? Wait, is that an oxymoron? At minimum, a great company should assure you that your home is professionally monitored 24/ 7.
- Perimeter monitoring– some security systems are just unmonitored cameras or simple motion sensors, so be sure your system can tell if a door is opened or a window broken.
- Mobility– will your home security system move if you do? Some companies, such as ADT will not.
- High ratings from consumer protection groups such as Consumers Digest, Consumer Advocate, and SafeWise.
- A clear contract– no one wants unpleasant surprises with their new security company, and a contract helps protect everyone involved while clarifying expectations– only happy surprises
- Other emergencies– can your security camera alert you if your kids are home after school and the carbon monoxide detector goes off? Invest in a system that coordinates with all your devices, including heat or smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Which options work best for you?
Every home is different and has unique needs. If home security was not previously in your budget, you may be most interested in a great value for a low price. If you are in a rural location with sketchy internet access, you probably are more interested in landline options than impressive zingers like home automation (as amazing as those systems may be). A new baby in the house may change your answers to many of your security needs questions. If there has been a recent break in near your neighborhood, you may insist on high definition security cameras and two-way voice connection. Certainly, everyone looks into home security systems for greater protection of material goods and heightened peace of mind about the safety of the entire family. Carefully weigh your options, and when you are ready, request a free quote from Protect America.
Pay it forward?
Did you know that installing a home security system not only makes your home safer but actually decreases criminal break-ins throughout your entire neighborhood?
As the number of home security systems increased in an area, the number of residential robberies decreased in that area, even for people who didn’t have their own security system. Having a security system not only protects you, but helps your neighborhood be a safer place for everyone.
This means your efforts on your own behalf benefit everyone around you in a very real way… and who doesn’t want that?